One of the ancient wyverns who has taken abode in Archdragon Peak.
The Ancient Wyvern stands in the way of the route to the Dragon-Kin Mausoleum and the Nameless King.
This fight is optional.
Found in Archdragon Peak. The closest bonfire is Archdragon Peak.
Breathe Fire: shoots a stream of fire out in a massive cone, dealing constant damage. It might also hover above ground then breathe fire down in a circular area directly beneath it.
Swipe: swipes at the player with its claws.
Tail Swipe: swipes its tail when the player is behind it
Stomp: stomps its feet when the player is under its belly.
Bite: bites at the player if they are close to its face.
Run through the ruined structure around to the scaffolding, then run along the scaffolding until you reach the ledge near to the wyvern's head.
Jump onto the wyvern head and plunging attack to instantly kill the beast. Be careful while jumping because missing will result in you falling to your death. The safest way to do this is to wait until he finished his breathing attack, then run off the ledge (sprinting, but not jumping) and do the plunging attack.
You can also fight it on the ground normally, if you want to. The easiest, albeit a bit tedious, way to do this is to first run past it after it lands, then turn right (instead of left toward the ruins). There are some stairs leading down to several corpses with treasure. Now if you stay on the stairs, the dragon will breathe fire down the stairs. If you are closer, it will bite at you with a head swipe. Typically, the procedure goes something like this:
- Wait on the stairs at some distance from the dragon's head. Stay close to the wall on either side
- It will then rear its head and proceed to breathe fire down the staircase
- The moment you see it rear its head, immediately run toward its neck. You should then be next to its head/neck when it is breathing fire. Go ahead and wail on it
- Once it finishes the fire breath, back away down the stairs, it will then do a head swipe at you. Roll downstairs to dodge
- Rinse and repeat from here
Once the wyvern is dead, you will be teleported to the Dragon-Kin Mausoleum bonfire.
- This page is about the boss version. The non-boss Ancient Wyvern, encountered before the Great Belfry bonfire, can be found here.