A form of Iudex Gundyr in his prime. As the Belated Champion, he was meant to link the fire, but was too late in the "timeline" shown by the Untended Graves. After being defeated by the Ashen One, he became a sheath for the Coiled Sword in the hopes that he could keep it safe for the future.
He is an optional boss fight. However, he is required if one seeks the 'End of Fire' ending as he leads to a decrepit-looking Firelink Shrine which contains the means to gaining this ending.
Found in Untended Graves on the path to the Flameless Shrine.
- Grab: Grabs target and spears on halberd, dealing high damage. Well telegraphed.
- Spear sweep: Charges up then does a half-circle swing from his left to right.
- Kick: briefly bows his shoulders, then spins and delivers a kick at shoulder height. Relatively low damage but will knockdown. Will often use on targets behind him, especially after another combo to punish opportunistic attacks.
- Shoulder charge: A very fast attack often used as part of a combo. Quickly dashes to the target and tackles them with his shoulder, delivering moderate damage and knockdown.
- Shout: When the boss is down to roughly half health, his eyes will begin to glow red and he will briefly yell, staggering but dealing no damage. This indicates the boss is entering phase 2, where his attacks can chain much longer.
- Charge: Similar to the weapon art. Lowers his spear, then runs forward. If at any point he hits you, he will carry you with the glaive, then finish it off with a quick, high damage slash. One of his most lethal moves. The attack at the end of the charge can be parried.
- Overhand slash: A two-hit attack where he slashes downward at a distant target then quickly reverses the attack. Try to roll as you may not be able to block the second hit.
- Uppercut: A very fast attack that will knock you airborne. Usually followed up by a kick when you are still in the air.
- Vertical chop: A far-reaching attack that he usually opens the fight with, and tends to use when you are too far away and/or trying to use estus. He runs for a few steps while raising his halberd, then chops down.
- Jumping slam: The boss jumps high up then plants his halberd into the ground while landing. This attack is not used very often, but tends to be a follow-up after you are knocked down by his kick.
Most of your deaths will be to his incredible combo potential in the second phase. He can cover a lot of ground very quickly.
Rolling through attacks to strike from behind, then dodging the kick will be instrumental to your success.
Good dodging will be essential because his combos simply have too many hits to block all of them. A good way to avoid potential follow-ups, especially the shoulder bash, is to stay out of his range, wait for an attack, then run back in and do a running attack once he finishes a move. It is best to use a weapon with long range, like a spear, so that you can hit him sooner and do not end up too close to him after you attack. The idea is to bait him to start a new combo, which in most cases starts with a halberd swing variation, which is easy to dodge or parry.
If you choose to summon the Sword Master, you should consider using a weapon with bleed. The sword master uses a chaos blade, and with his help you can deliver bleed procs with some frequency to bring the boss down faster. He occasionally still does his normal Overhead Slash , so take advantage of that with a parry, if you can.
Most of his attacks can be parried. During the second phase of the fight, the boss is much more aggressive and performs combos that are hard to deal with, but the first attack of a combo is usually slow and easy to parry. Just watch out for his grab attack. Aside from timing the parries, it's important to stay within his range, but not too close. If you are too close, he tends to do the shoulder bash, the grab attack, or the uppercut which is extremely fast.