|1||10 Vertebra Shackles||Bloodlust|
|2||30 Vertebra Shackles||Warmth|
A malformed vertebra found by the mad, with a queer symbol on its inside, proof of the shackles of the Gods. Equip to pledge oneself to the Mound-makers covenant.
The mound-makers wish only to add to their mounds, becoming mad spirits whether summoned as co-operators or invaders.
They are blithe to those around them, for in their minds, any kill might lead to another shackle.
To join the Mound-Makers, you need to join before you challenge the Curse-rotted Greatwood. Start by going to the Undead Settlement bonfire. Walk past the rooftops with the Hollow Slaves and drop down. You will find an enemy with a cage on its back. Examine the cage to be teleported to the Mound-Makers covenant area.
If Curse-Rotted Greatwood is dead then go to the entrance of the boss room after having defeated 3 Lords of Cinder. There you can activate the summoning sign of Sirris of the Sunless Realms and join in cooperation. If successful, you will acquire the covenant. You must not have turned Sirris hostile towards you.
You can increase your rank within the Mound-Makers by offering Vertebra Shackles to the Sacrificial Altar found in the Undead Settlement, near the Curse-rotted Greatwood courtyard.
You can also farm them with a friend with a password by getting summoned by a Red Soapstone (doesn't require to be enkindled to do so) and kill him, or he just dies. A good spot would be Anor Londo where you can just summon and roll off the edge until you have the item 30 times.
- Your phantom becomes a Mad Dark Spirit, and will appear as purple whilst invading. As a Mad Dark Spirit, you can enter another's world either as a friendly phantom or as an invader.
- Entering as a friendly phantom allows you to assist as a regular friendly phantom would, although you cannot pass through boss fog. However you can also attack the player, and any other friendly phantoms who summoned you.
- Entering as an invader will act as a normal invader, and will be unable to attack the enemies in the victim's world.
- Either method allows other Mad Dark Spirits to attack you, and you them.
- Either method allows other Dark Spirits from any covenant to attack you, and you them.
- Your summon sign will appear purple, and it's color cannot be changed through the use of items like the Untrue White Ring but you can still hide your phantom color using this ring.
- How to access the covenant: https://youtu.be/XFS7gO-FQvU?t=1064